#LifeTips: What to Wear in an Interview
The first impression is always important. A clean, neat attire shows organization, attentiveness and diligence—all important qualities of a potential candidate. No matter the work environment or company dress code that you are interviewing for, we always recommend that it is best to dress business professional. Why? Because it shows that you are taking the interview seriously.
Here are a few tips for what to wear for an interview:
- A clean, neat attire – your clothing should be neat, clean and pressed. If you don’t have an iron, now is the time to expand your network and ask a friend!
- Keep it simple – we recommend that you wear an interview suit. Interview suits should be simple and dark in color. The same goes for accessories, keep them simple, keep the accessories to a minimum to avoid distraction.
- Fragrance – refrain from using perfume or cologne. You never know if your fragrance can cause an allergic reaction with the person you are interviewing with.
- ASK! – whether you are working with a recruiter or a company directly, don’t be afraid to ask the recruiter or the company’s HR department for recommendations and their current dress code policy.
- Prepare for climate – you want to stay comfortable; if you are interviewing in extreme heat, don’t wear something that will make you sweat. This doesn’t mean you should wear short-shorts and flip flops, but maybe google some professional outfits you can wear in extreme heat. The same goes for extreme winter weather.
Let’s face it, there are no written laws on the perfect interview outfit, but there are a ton of resources out there. Don’t be afraid to Google outfit ideas that fit your personality or even ask a stylist at a department store for ideas. Good luck!